Main Building
Department of Social Services
line decor
Program Areas: CCDSS Information Addition Information & Resources  

Child Services

Protective Services for Children are provided to children and their parents/caretakers in response to instances of actual or suspected child neglect, abuse, or exploitation. This includes investigating reports of neglect, abuse, dependency or exploitation; evaluating the degree of damage or risk to the child; cooperating with law enforcement agencies and initiating court action when necessary; counseling and planning with the child’s family toward the solution and prevention of problems causing neglect, abuse, dependency, or exploitation; and arranging for the provisions of services such as foster care, day care, health, and mental health services and in home aid services.

These services are provided by an intake unit, investigative units, treatment units, and an extended duty unit. The extended duty social worker responds to emergency situations, which cannot be handled during regular office hours – nights, weekends, holidays, etc.

Child Placement Services

Child Placement Services are provided for children for whom the agency holds custody. They include recruiting, licensing, relicensing, and supervising foster homes for children for whom the agency holds placement responsibility. Also includes responsibility for providing services to children whose permanent plan is reunification, relative placement, adoption, or independent living.

The goal of the Group Care Program is to intervene and provide services to youth between the ages of 13-17 who are undisciplined, delinquent, or at risk to prevent penetration or further penetration into the juvenile justice system.


For further information, call the following:

Protective Services (referral or inquiry): 677-2450

Child Placement, Adoption, and Foster Home Licensing: 677-2541

After Hours Child Protective Services Number: 910 489-4583

Visit our Adoption Web site!

Additional Information

Annie E. Casey Foundation
Children's Services of North Carolina
Children's Services Practice Notes
Cumberland County Partnership for Children
NC Adoption Page
Action for Children North Carolina
NC Foster Parent Association
NC Center for Adoption Education
NC Department of Corrections



In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.

To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (202) 619-3257 (TTY). USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.


line decor
Late Update: 11/15/2007 Email Webmaster  ::  Disclaimer  ::  Contact Us