Main Building  
Department of Social Services
line decor
Program Areas: CCDSS Information Addition Information & Resources


To provide better

service we also

provide assistance

throughout the

community -

click here to find out more!


Economic Services

Strengthening Cumberland County Families by providing:

Work First

Work First is a statewide welfare-reform initiative that focuses on work and personal responsibility and offers welfare recipients job training, job placement, retention counseling, child care and transportation assistance to help them leave welfare for work. Substance-abuse treatment and domestic violence counseling are available when needed. It provides financial/medical assistance, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), to families that meet state and federal eligibility requirements.
-TANF Application Requirement- Information Session
 (Sesion Informativa)
-Frequently Asked Question About TANF
-Frequently Asked Question About Work First Employment
-Work First Plan 2007-2009
-Work First Plan 2009-2011

Comments concerning the "Work First Plan" please email:


Food and Nutrition Services

The Food Security Program is a federal program that provides a monthly allotment of food assistance via Electronic Benefit Transfer cards (ATM cards). The Food Security Program is an entitlement program, in which individuals and households can receive assistance. The benefits are used to purchase food at participating stores. It may not be used to purchase tobacco, pet food, paper products, soap products, or alcoholic beverages.
-Frequently Asked Question About Food and Nutrition Services & EBT


The Department of Social Services continuously seeks opportunities to enhance service delivery to the citizens of Cumberland County. One opportunity that assists families with reducing transportation costs is our providing of services in the neighborhoods and communities of Cumberland County.  If you are currently receiving Food and Nutrition Services and have received notification that it is time for a face-to-face interview and you live in one of the following areas:  Hope Mills, Stedman or Campbell Terrace, you can visit the appropriate location identified below to be recertified for Food and Nutrition Services.  It is not necessary to make a trip to the main DSS office. Just bring picture identification and social security card for adults included in the food stamp assistance, rent and utility receipts, verification of income and any information concerning changes to your case. Call 677-2276 or 677-2077 or email or with questions or concerns regarding Food Stamp Recertification in neighborhoods and communities.

2008 Schedule and Locations


This is a health insurance program for low-income families that is governed by federal and state laws. Medicaid programs provided by the Economic Services Section are:

    Medicaid for Families with Dependent Children (MAF) – Medical coverage is available for qualified families with children in their household under the age of 21.

    Medicaid for Infants and Children (MIC) – Medical coverage is available for children under the age of 19 whose parents’ income is below the established limits.

    Medicaid for Pregnant Women (MPW) – Medical coverage is available for pregnant women whose income is below the established limits.

    Frequently Asked Questions About Medicaid

NC Health Choice for Children

Health insurance for children through age 18 with family income below or at 200% of the poverty level. In order to qualify for this program, children must be ineligible for Medicaid and not be covered under any comprehensive health insurance plan.

Subsidized Child Care

This program enables eligible families to access childcare and developmental experiences for children less than thirteen years old. Services are provided primarily to low-income families to support employment and training efforts or in conjunction with protective services for children. The program provides assistance with payments to child care providers.
-Frequently Asked Question About Subsidized Child Care

Additional Information

Child Care Resources
Employment Information
Employment Services
FAST Bus System
Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce
FTCC Curriculum
NC Nurse Aide Registry
Retention Services
Services Throughout the community
Smart Start

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.

To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (202) 619-3257 (TTY). USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.


line decor
Late Update: 12/16/2008 Email Webmaster  ::  Disclaimer  ::  Contact Us